Review # 39: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

 Hey! Welcome back to another review! Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, was the last show I saw last weekend. So let's get on with the review! 

Plot: For those who do not know, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, is a revival of the 1979 musical with the same name.  The story takes place in 1846 and Sweeney Todd has just returned to London after fifteen years. The first thing he does is visit Mrs. Lovett's Meat Pie shop as he once worked above her shop as a barber all those years ago. Sweeney then reveals to Mrs. Lovett that he is actually Benjamin Barker, a man who lost his wife, Lucy, and infant daughter, Johanna to Judge Turpin. Judge Turpin is also the reason why Sweeney was sent away for so many years and Sweeney vows that he will get his revenge on the evil Judge. Mrs. Lovett reveals that his wife, Lucy is dead but Johanna is alive and well, living with Judge Turpin. She also suggests that Sweeney should return to his old profession as a barber. Sweeney agrees, knowing that if he gets Judge Turpin as a customer, he could exact his revenge and kill the judge with his razor. However, Sweeney's thirst for revenge only grows, causing him to become a murderous madman with the help of Mrs. Lovett. Will Sweeney Todd reunite with his now-grown Johanna and get his revenge on Judge Turpin? Find out in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Personally, I was never a fan of entertainment that featured a murderer as the main character, but this show really kept me on the edge of my seat. I also wasn't expecting to fall in love with this story as much as I did. The story of Sweeney Todd is a beloved classic to many theatre lovers which I now understand. It's a tragic but beautiful tale that I think everyone, not just theatre lovers should go see. 

Characters: One of the best things about this show was its star-studded cast. I would never imagine Josh Groban playing the role of anti-villain or just a villain at all. However, I think the role of Sweeney Todd fitted him perfectly. Not only was Sweeney the best part of the show, but I got so excited whenever he appeared on stage because the acting was so phenomenal. I'm not too fimlar with Annaleigh Ashford's work, but her take on Mrs. Lovett was fantastic. I loved the goofy vibe and humor Mrs. Lovett brought the the stage. Her partnership with Sweeney and seeing her express her unrequited feelings was so fun to watch. Other highlights for me was Jordan Fisher as Anthony, Gaten Matarazzo as Tobias, and Maria Bilbao as Johanna. I adored the chemistry that Anthony and Johanna had, even if it wasn't the center of the story, the way they act around each other was adorable to watch on stage. Although Matarazzo (who is twenty-years-old in real life) was playing a role that was most suited for a child, I felt that he embodied many childish traits that made me believe that he was younger than he actually is. Other characters such as the beggar woman, Judge Turpin, Beadle Bamford, and Pirelli where also amazing to see come to life as well. 

Songs: Honestly, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about these songs, especially since the show is about a murderer. However, there is a reason why this show is iconic and that is because of it's gorgeous songs. Some of the songs that stood out to me was "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd", "The Worst Pies in London", "My Friends", "Pirelli's Miracle Elixir", "Pretty Women", "Epiphany", "A Little Priest", and "Not While I'm Around". However the two songs that I kept singing after the show was over were "By The Sea" and "Johanna". I personally cannot wait for the cast recording of this production to come out because the way these actors and actresses sang these songs were just incredible. 

Sets: When I walked into the theater, I did not think the sets where that special, but I was proven wrong once the show started. I loved the way they made Mrs, Lovett's meat pie shop and how they were able to show Sweeney working above the shop.  I think the sets were better utalized in act two such as the scene wherethey had a full blown crane drop Sweeney's new barber chair above the stage. Even the trap doors where fun to see. So I would definitely recommend checking out the show just for it's sets. 

Overall, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is a must-see musical revial. However, if I was not clear enough, this show does feature murder and gore as there is a lot of blood shown during the play. Sweeney also swears a few times in the musical so if you don't want to be exposed of to that then maybe go see another show. Other than that, if your fans of Josh Groban, the original Sweeney Todd musical, or even the 2007 movie, then you should definitely attend the tale of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street!












Comments

Popular Posts