Review 41: Chicago

 Hello! Welcome back to another review! Today I'll be reviewing the longest-running Broadway revival, Chicago. Is it as good as they say? Find out in this review.

Plot: Chicago is based on the 1924 play with the same name. The play was inspired by the true story of Beulah Annan and Belva Gaertner. Set in the 1920s, Chicago is a story about Roxie Hart's claim to fame. After Fred Casely tries to break off their affair, Roxie ends up killing him, which sends Roxie to Cook County Jail. However, after meeting Matron "Mama" Morton, Roxie realizes she can gain fame during her time in jail. Roxie and her husband, Amos hire Billy Flynn to be Roxie's lawyer and with his help, along with the press conferences, Roxie turns into a star. However, Velma Kelly, another murderess in Chicago, is envious of Roxie's fame as she once was the top murderess in town. Now Velma is trying to win back the fame she once had. Who will end up on top? Find out in the musical, Chicago. The story is simple yet entertaining. I thought I was going to like it more but compared to the other shows I've seen, I thought it was just okay. 

Characters: One of the main reasons why I wanted to see the show is because Olivia Holt was playing the role of Roxie Hart. As much as I enjoy Olivia Holt's acting and singing, I just could not see her as Roxie Hart. I felt that her interpretation of Roxie was soft and reminded me of Harley Quinn from DC Comics. I pictured Roxie to be snarky and a powerful belter. Even though this is Olivia Holt's Broadway debut, I felt that there are other roles out there that would suit her more than Roxie did. Hopefully, we will see her in another Broadway show soon. Roxie's rival and counterpart, Velma was fun and incredible to watch as her jealousy grew. I even enjoyed the funny bits with her in them. Although both Roxie and Velma are the stars of the show, Billy Flynn and Amos Hart made the show a lot more enjoyable for me. Billy was cunning and I thought it was so cool how he did this ventriloquist act to show how manipulative he is. Amos was adorable, quirky, and funny. I also adored the little number he did. Last but not least Matron "Mama" Morton brought the power I wanted from Roxie. She was an amazing character and she was great to see live. 

Songs: Some of you might have heard the songs from Chicago before. Some of the popular songs include "All That Jazz", "Cell Block Tango" and "Razzle Dazzle". However, I also enjoyed other songs as well such as "Funny Honey", "When You're Good to Mama", "Roxie", "Me and My Baby", "Mr. Cellophane", and "All I Care About". However, one of my favorite songs from the show was "We Both Reached for the Gun". A lot of the songs were spectacular and might be the best part of this musical. 

Sets: I cannot comment on the sets because there really wasn't one. The entire orchestra was on stage with the actors. So most of the stage took up the orchestra. Most of the characters appeared from and interacted with the orchestra a lot. Sometimes they would have ladders peaking out from the top of the stage and sometimes there might be a backdrop, but Chicago really had to rely on the props to make it look like the characters were in Cook County Jail or at a press conference, etc. Even though I thought it was fun to see the actors interact with the musicians and the conductor, I wasn't a big fan of this "set". 

Overall, I thought Chicago was an entertaining show. However, if it wasn't for the stars that come and perform these roles or the amazing songs, I don't know how well Chicago would do, but it is great to see that it has lasted for 27 years on Broadway, becoming the longest-running revival in Broadway history. Just a few warnings before buying tickets, the show does feature murder, cursing, marital affairs, and implied sex. Many of the actresses wear very revealing clothing as well. So if you are not comfortable with any of the above, I recommend you see a different show. I also personally would not take your child to this as well. However, if you're a fan of the 2002 film with the same name, and a big fan of the songs then I would suggest you should go see it. So go ahead and see the longest-running revival on Broadway, Chicago!



Comments

Popular Posts