Review # 1: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

A few days ago I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the Musical on Broadway and here are my thoughts about the show:

Plot: The story has always been the same story to both movies (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 1971, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2005), and the book with the same name that was written by Roald Dahl. The story is about Charlie, a poor young kid, that gets a once in a lifetime chance to go visit Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. He and four other kids get to journey into a world of pure imagination. But the trip doesn't go as plan. I thought the story was alright. Nothing much has changed. I'll though I wished that they got in Chocolate Factory a little faster. But the plot was ok.

Characters: The cast was very well done. Choosing Christian Borle for the role of Willy Wonka was a great choice. The rest of the cast was good as well. Although I thought the casting for the roles for the kids was a little strange. All the kids but Charlie were... adults and it was weird for me seeing adults playing kids. They were not bad actors (they are far from that) but I think that they should have cast kids to play kids instead of adults playing kids. The characters had a great personality and it reminded me much of the 2005 movie. I also liked how they did the Oompa Loompas. I won't give it away but they were fun.

Songs: Ok the songs were not that great. The songs had no feel to them and they are not that memorable as the classic. They kind of made Pure Imagination look bad. The only song that was great was The Candy Man. But other than that the songs make you want to cringe and it made you wished that all the song were over.

Sets: The sets were bad as well. It looked like the sets were from a middle school play. I was looking forward to so much more in the Chocolate Factory part. They were very bad and I was very upset when I saw them in person.

In the end, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was not the best musical out there. It is a good show for the family but if you're an adult or a teen I suggest you should see another show.



Comments

Popular Posts